I found a version of this Ina Garten recipe while perusing the recipe archives of A Life From Scratch and thought it was a nice way to pretend that we live in a much warmer climate. It has been a looooonnnnng winter where we live and it is showing no signs of ending anytime soon. So dice up some cucumbers, slice some tomatoes, squeeze some lemons and think spring. It’s got to arrive eventually!
For the salad:
~2, 15 oz. cans of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
~cherry tomatoes, about 20, sliced in half
~one cucumber, diced (I remove the seeds also…slice in half lengthwise and scrape a spoon down the middle to remove them)
~6 scallions, thinly sliced
~handful each of chopped, fresh basil, mint and parsley (our grocery store sells small recipe ready quantities of fresh herbs that work well for this)
~6 oz. crumbled feta cheese
For the dressing:
~juice and zest of 2 lemons
~2 cloves garlic, minced
~1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
~1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
~1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Combine all of the salad ingredients.
2. Whisk together the lemon juice/zest, garlic, salt and pepper.
3. Slowly whisk the olive oil into the lemon juice mixture.
4. Drizzle as much of the dressing over the salad as you prefer.
5. Check your calendar again…yes…it’s still February 😕.