Katie: I love my mom’s grilled cheese! I like when she adds a bit of honey mustard on it. I think it tastes better with the honey mustard. My brother disagrees…he likes his grilled cheese plain. My dog, KC, likes it both ways. How do I know? Because he likes to steal them both. I’d say my second favorite lunch my mom makes is the honey mustard grilled cheese. I hope you like it too!
Debbie: We’re all about the comfort food around here this week. For the past few days the mercury has been fluctuating between 10 below and 10 above freezing. When you are looking forward to it warming up to the teens, you know you need some comfort food on the table! I’m sure most folks don’t need a recipe to know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, but we’ve included one for any kids trying it for the first time. We also wanted to share some variations on the basic plain cheese sandwich in case you are more adventurous than Katie’s brother!
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
1. Melt a pat of butter in a pan over medium heat.
2. Butter the outsides of two pieces of whole wheat bread.
3. When the butter in the pan has melted, turn the heat down slightly and place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down.
4. Add your cheese (and other combination items if using) and top with the second slice of bread, buttered side up.
5. Heat for 3 to 5 minutes until slightly browned, flip the sandwich carefully and heat another 3 to 5 minutes on the other side.
6. Serve with fresh fruit or cherry tomatoes and a pickle (sweet or dill…you choose!)
Other combinations to try:
~cheddar cheese and sliced apples
~Monterey jack cheese, mustard and honey
~mozzarella cheese, sliced tomatoes, basil and a splash of balsamic vinegar
~spinach (sautéed in a little olive oil and garlic until just wilted), Brie cheese (rind removed) and apricot preserves
~pesto and mozzarella or provolone cheese
~Monterey jack or pepper jack cheese and avocado slices
~Camembert cheese (rind removed) and pear slices